Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Van Bibber Buddhism



People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle.  But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth.  Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize:  a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a cild--our own two eyes.  All is a miracle.

--Thich Nhat Hanh, quoted in Raising Happiness*

From last night's walk with Milo, in Van Bibber Open Space park, which looks like the land of milk and honey right now:



I'm so often struck by the fact of the beauty of living in Colorado, which surely is one of the most extraordinary places on earth, and which is so totally home to me now.  And no, Jesus did not descend from those clouds on thos eparticular sunbeams, though he might as well have, because this was a seriously spiritual moment for me and Milo (and the Droid).  Gratitude for that, the fact that Van Bibber is two blocks from our house, and many more miracles...



*This is probably one of my favorite books on parenting, and I'm only half way through.  I love, love, love it.  I picked it up at our local library, and I bet you can, too.  In fact, even if you don't have little kids, I recommend it.  It's good for parenting all sorts of things, including ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment