Thursday, January 14, 2010

No Impact: Days 3 and 4

So, the focus of Day 3 of No Impact is on changing your food choices. Y'all know that I'm (mostly) vegan, and you know I'm making an effort to learn to cook. We eat a lot of whole foods at our house and not much processed stuff (except for E. I'm outing him as being processed-food-reliant). But really, we all do it a bit. I like these little nut bars for snacks; the girls like string cheese and yogurt sticks. And the convenience of those things is pretty nice. But, again, small steps will help us to reduce our interest in and reliance on these. I just know that, for us, those steps take time to implement and stick to. Else we'll bag.

For example, I'm thinking of learning to make yogurt. What do you think? The girls consume an astonishing amount of yogurt. Will it take forever to make? Will they eat it if tastes too chunky or different from what they're used to? Will it reduce the amount of trash we produce? All things to think about.

Anyway, that's little stuff. Switching away from a huge reliance on red meat in our house? That was bigger stuff.

Day 4 is about energy usage. This is going to be a very tough one. It's a cold time of year, and I like to do things that require energy, like watch t.v. while I knit, or use my sewing machine while listening to This American Life. Those things make my life better. But something I have been thinking about changing is trying to turn off all those "vampire" appliances that suck energy while you're not using them, you know? I'll talk to E about this. He usually has good solutions.

So, far the No Impact project as been not so exciting for me. The low-hanging fruit has already been plucked, while the huge energy users in our life (like driving) are sort of non-negotiable at the moment. Hmmm.

Haven't even begun to think about political action, tho that's in the plan. More on that soon.

2 comments:

  1. I think angry chicken has made yogurt. You may want to check her blog for instructions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If angry chicken has yogurt, I'm ON IT! THanks :)

    J

    ReplyDelete