Sunday, January 3, 2010

News on the Noles

We're having a bit of a slow start on the morning around here--Eric brought me coffee and the Times in bed this morning, which is my idea of heaven, and I put in another few rows on my current knitting project, then straightened things up, took a shower, and am about to head to an uber-long luxury massage (one of my favorite Christmas presents, hallelujah and amen!).

But before I head down for 10am bowl of granola and raisin bran, I wanted to give a quick update on the Nolie sleeping situation. She is sleeping in her very own big-girl bed, same as Addie's, in Addie's room. Which is now the girls' room. I would say that 5 out of 7 days a week both girls are sleeping through the night, which feels like a major accomplishment. Once or twice a week Nolie is still waking up, inconsolable, at about 3:30 in the morning, and though we try to put her back to bed, we quickly give up and bring her into our bed because we just plain need the sleep.

Still, this feels like a very good record.

It's been a winning proposition for the girls, too. We converted Nolie's bedroom into a playroom, which they seem to like a lot, and we've also noticed a considerable improvement in their relationship. Maybe this is coincidence, maybe they're just tired of fighting all the time. But there have been much longer and more frequent periods of playing together well, better communication, and more fun. An unexpected and welcome side effect, I'd say.

I'm not sucker enough to say this will last for any period of time. Nolie changes sleep patterns like I change hobbies. But for now, a gentle detente.

No comments:

Post a Comment