Monday, May 21, 2012

Addie Can Ride Her Bike

Maybe most kids learn to ride a bike without training wheels before they are 8.  We probably could have pushed Addie harder to get on and ride, and she would have been there before now.  But we didn't, and she just didn't feel ready.  It takes her a while to make up her mind about things, and that's okay with me.

That said, I was pretty sure I wanted her to learn to ride before E. came home this next weekend.  I just had a feeling she might be ready.

So last Thursday I went into full-on bribery mode and told the girls that if we rode bikes for a half-hour and kept a really positive attitude, I'd take them for frozen yogurt (psst!  Frozen yogurt isn't even ice cream, fools!).  Anyway, I ran Addie up and down a huge grass lawn/park-y thing by our house a few dozen times, and then we walked back to our cul-de-sac.  She popped on her bike and I asked her if she wanted to give it a try, and off she went.  I was amazed.  Here I was, expecting it to take 10 days, and she picked it up in a half-hour.

When E. got home late Friday night we all went out in the dark to watch her do it.  We're very proud.  And more importantly, she's very proud.  She rides every day after school now.

Also, she makes very interesting costumes for herself, such as this Peace Bag outfit:

Peace Bag 2012:  Make Art Not War
Note:  Footwear Not Part of Costume





No comments:

Post a Comment