Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm baaaack ?

I haven't been sewing.  For months and months.  I don't know why.  I just had no desire.  I was getting worried that maybe it was just a little hobby I had for a while and now it was gone and I'd better figure out to do with all this sewing stuff I've collected.  And then, this weekend, out of the blue, the longing to make something with my own two hands came back.

Out popped a little dress for Nolie, modeled on a little dress in Carefree Clothes for Girls:


An adorable book illustrating how I would dress if I was five.  Or thirty-five.  It's Orphan Annie chic.  It's torn-up, raw-edged goodness.  I love it.  I wish I was a wee thing who could make myself these little whippets of fashiony delightfulness and parade around in my sweet lineny unfinished swirlypants.

Rhapsody over.

So of course I didn't follow the pattern and just cut up a shower curtain and a table cloth.  I don't spend much time making clothes for the girls because they are rotten little stinkers who spill chewed up cherries on everything and screech at the tiniest little thread sticking out to scratch them, and the garment you spent hours on ends up wadded on the floor.  Then you think criminal thoughts for a while before going and eating the last Dilly Bar.  But I did kind of get into making this and, lo and behold, it's Nolie's new favorite dress:


Wee heart fashioned out of antique quilt top.  Thank ye.


Nolie wouldn't stop doing this pose.  It's her "I Love Justin Bieber" pose.


Also, this pose.


Pics thanks to Addie.  Not bad for an hour's worth of fun on a hot Sunday afternoon, right?

Anyone want to guess how long that dress is going to stay white?

I am also a little enamored of a knock off I made of this skirt:


Here's mine:



It's a blue flowered jersey, and my ruffles aren't finished as nicely (I need to break out the surger).   And I need to do some work on the shape.  But I actually kind of like it otherwise.

You might also be wondering about that large wet stain on the front.

Well.

That might be where I spilled some chewed-up cherries.

Just keeping it real, people.

Anyway, I'm going to get some gray jersey and try again for the look and I'll let you know what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I own that gray GH skirt and I like yours better! Nolie is picture perfect in her little white-heart dress. Enjoy the sewing groove. xo TT

    ReplyDelete